Lost Peninsula is a small part of
Michigan that became separated because of the 1835 Toledo War, changing the
Michigan/Ohio Boundary. It was also the staging area for rum runners,
bringing illegal spirits into the United States from Canada.
The Toledo War
The Toledo War (1835–1836; also known as the
Ohio-Michigan War) was the largely bloodless outcome of a boundary
dispute between the U.S. state of Ohio and the adjoining territory of
Michigan. The dispute originated from conflicting state and federal
legislation, passed between 1787 and 1805, which left Ohio's northern
border uncertain. The governments of Ohio and Michigan both claimed
sovereignty over a 468 square mile (1,210 sq km) region along the border,
now known as the Toledo Strip. When Michigan pressed for statehood in the
early 1830s, it sought to include the disputed territory within its
boundaries, but Ohio's Congressional delegation was able to halt
Michigan's admission to the Union.
Beginning in 1835, both sides passed legislation
meant to force the other side's capitulation. Ohio's governor Robert
Lucas and Michigan's then 24-year-old "boy governor" Stevens T.
Mason were both unwilling to cede jurisdiction of the Strip, so they
raised militias and helped institute criminal penalties for citizens
submitting to the other state's authority. Both militias were mobilized
and sent to positions on opposite sides of the Maumee River near Toledo,
but there was little interaction between the two sides besides mutual
taunting. The single military confrontation of the "war" ended
with a report of shots being fired into the air, incurring no casualties.
There was only one serious injury in the entire conflict: the stabbing of
a Michigan deputy sheriff involved in the arrest of a partisan Ohio
In December 1836, the Michigan territorial
government, facing a dire financial crisis, surrendered the land under
pressure from Congress and President Andrew Jackson, and accepted a
proposed resolution adopted in the U.S. Congress. Under the compromise,
Michigan gave up its claim to the strip in exchange for its statehood and
approximately three-quarters of the Upper Peninsula. Considered a poor
outcome for Michigan at the time, the later discovery of copper and the
plentiful timber in the Upper Peninsula more than compensated for the loss
of the strip.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Starting in about 1952 Bervel
Edward "Pete" Grant assisted by "Big" Melvin Brown started digging out
what would become "Lost Peninsula Marina".
Lost Peninsula starting off, a
lot of labor hours ago.... This is a tribute to the individuals who had
the vision, and ingenuity to overcome obstacles and create what many
people now enjoy.
Current Owners of Lost
Peninsula, Bill & Jill
Photo of a ship in 1900 exiting the Maumee taken from
Excursion Boats from Lost Peninsula
Youths on the Maumee from Lost Peninsula 1902.
Mr. Robert Rombkowski
and Daughters fishing in 1946 from about where the fuel dock is now.
Mrs. Harriett Pheatt in her
Orchard on Lost Peninsula May 19th 1946.
Mr. Lyman Bates (left), and His Cousin Harold F.
Mensing changing plates on Lost Peninsula May 19th
Mr. Lyman Bates (ladder), and His Cousin Harold F.
Mensing working on the house on Lost Peninsula May
If you have any historical photos of Lost Peninsula
and would like to share them on this web page, email them to